Bert Louthian is a Columbia truck accident attorney who is committed to his clients’ fullest potential recovery. The Louthian Law Firm is a family-owned law firm that helps families when their lives are changed by a truck accident. To discuss your case and start today, call (803) 592-6231.
Lawyer for Truck Accidents in Columbia, SC
Truck accident victims may receive substantial compensation. Victims often have serious injuries, financial harm and suffering. You may have professional legal representation to seek a monetary payment for your losses. Bert Louthian is a truck accident attorney in Columbia, SC. He is taking new cases now.
Contact us by phone or message us for a personalized consultation. We can represent you throughout the claims process.
Types of Truck Accident Claims We Handle
Commercial drivers have a high duty of care. Speeding, disregarding a traffic signal, improper lane changes and improper backing are just some of the traffic violations that may be grounds for truck accident compensation.
Driver inexperience and poor training
A commercial truck is large and heavy. It drives differently than a passenger vehicle. When drivers are inexperienced or poorly trained, they may make errors that result in a crash.
Unqualified driver, improper retention
Trucking companies should ensure that their drivers are qualified. As your attorney, we investigate the driving history of the person responsible for the crash.
Commercial trucks must be properly maintained. The U.S. Department of Transportation issues regulations for truck inspection, maintenance and identification. When these standards are not followed, the result may be a crash that injures innocent victims.
Poorly secured load
Trucks are in the business of transporting goods. To be safe, these objects must be secured so that they do not become loose. The weight and balance of the truck must be properly distributed. A poorly secured load can cause the truck operator to lose control, resulting in an accident.
Driving while fatigued, tired or distracted
Despite mandatory rest periods, drivers may operate while tired, fatigued or distracted. When a driver is tired or distracted, they may not recognize hazards on the road or adjust their driving to the conditions around them. They may react poorly or engage in risky driving. We can explore whether fatigued or distracted driving played a role in causing the accident.
Commercial drivers have more stringent standards for drunk driving than regular license holders. Someone who chooses to drive a truck under the influence of alcohol or drugs places themselves and others at risk. We look to hold the driver accountable for what they have done, building the scientific evidence to prove drunk driving and how it resulted in a crash.
Defective vehicle design
A crash may be the result of a defective vehicle design or manufacturing error. This may not be obvious right away at the time of the crash, but we investigate to see if a problem with the vehicle contributed to the accident.
Weather and road conditions
Bad weather and poor road conditions may contribute to a crash. Drivers should adjust their behavior to the conditions around them including lowering their speed and increasing following distance. In our investigation, we look at all contributing factors to a collision which may include external factors like weather and road conditions.
Trucking collisions occur on interstate freeways, U.S. and South Carolina highways, county roads, city streets, ramps and parking areas. Whatever the circumstances of your collision, we want you to be fairly compensated.
What does a truck accident lawyer do?
When you’re the victim of a truck accident, you have important questions:
- Can I receive financial compensation?
- How do I get compensated?
- What is my case worth?
- Who has to pay me, and why?
- Is the insurance company offering me a fair settlement?
- How do I begin? What do I do next? Can I make this easier?
- What do I say in court?
Your truck accident lawyer answers these questions for you and represents you in the process to receive compensation.
Attorney Bert Louthian is your legal advocate when you’re hurt and facing the fallout of a truck accident. He knows how to evaluate a case, what steps to take and how to alleviate the stress of the process for his clients. He takes care of everything – both inside and outside of court to get fair compensation for clients.
Our law office can assist you with:
- Documenting evidence
- Building the case
- Complex evidentiary issues and questions
- Negotiating and talking to the insurance company
- Valuing damages and verifying them with evidence
- Drafting legal documents
- Going to court on your behalf
Each case is different, and our representation is personalized for each client. We want to understand your goals and explain the options so that we can provide the individualized representation that you deserve.
Why Choose Experienced Attorney Bert Louthian
Highlights of The Louthian Law Firm include:
- Bert Louthian has been practicing law since 1985. These decades of experience mean that he knows the laws, the courts and what to do to represent truck accident victims.
- Dedication to handling claims that matter to families, including truck accident claims.
- An appreciation of the way that an unexpected injury affects the entire family and the importance of qualified legal representation.
- Free consultations for all new clients.
- Strategy building with clients so that we are truly representing your interests.
- Thorough technical evidence gathering and use of legal procedures. We work diligently behind the scenes with expert witnesses, accident reconstruction and researching the legal issues that matter to you the most.
- A law firm in the heart of Columbia, SC that handles cases throughout the region. In fact, we are located right by the Richland County Circuit Court.
- Attorney Bert Louthian holds a 10.0 AVVO rating and the Martindale-Hubbell® AV® rating for the highest professional excellence. He is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and has been named to the Top 100 – The National Trial Lawyers.
Bert Louthian believes that technical case preparation is the key to success. Thoroughly investigating and building evidence ensures that your claim is valued fairly.
We invite you to get to talk to us about your case and how our law firm may assist you.
South Carolina Truck Accident Statistics
- In South Carolina, in 2021, 438 traffic fatalities involved pickup trucks, truck tractors and other trucks.
- Fatal accidents involving truck tractors increased 15% in 2021 as compared to 2020.
- 53,481 trucks were involved in a collision in South Carolina in 2021, including pickups, truck tractors and other trucks.
- Truck coupling was a factor in 28 total collisions in South Carolina in 2021. These accidents resulted in one fatality and five injuries.
- Cargo loads, balance and security was a factor in a total of 210 collisions in South Carolina in 2021. This figure includes all collisions relating to cargo issues including trucks and other vehicles.
- 1.5% of crashes involving a truck tractor result in a fatality in South Carolina.
- 22% of crashes involving a truck tractor result in an injury or fatality in South Carolina.
- Crashes occur steadily during all months of the year, with the least number of collisions happening in January and February.
Truck Accident Compensation FAQs
How long do I have to file a claim after a truck accident in South Carolina?
The time limit to file a truck accident claim in South Carolina varies from person to person. There is a general three year statute of limitations for injury claims in South Carolina, but children generally have until age 19 and claims falling under the South Carolina Tort Claims Act must begin within two years. It’s best to contact us to start your case right away and ensure that you comply with the statute of limitations for your case.
What is my truck accident claim worth?
The value of a truck accident claim depends on the damages the victim has incurred, future damages, legal fault and the ability to collect compensation. If you are injured in a truck accident, you may claim:
- Emergency medical bills
- Cost of medical treatment, rehabilitation, prescriptions and mobility devices
- Future medical costs
- The cost of personal care, including hospitalization and nursing care
- Lost income, benefits and future career path
- Physical and emotional suffering
- Mental injury and mental health treatment
- Disfigurement and limitations in life activity
- Wrongful death compensation
Losses in a truck accident and financial and personal. Bert Louthian can evaluate what your truck accident claim is worth and pursue fair compensation.
Are pain and suffering damages available for someone injured in a truck accident?
Truck accident victims can claim pain and suffering damages that accompany physical injury. Our law firm can help you value non-economic losses as part of your overall case.
Free Consultation – Talk to a Columbia Truck Accident Attorney
Columbia truck accident attorney Bert Louthian of The Louthian Law Firm is taking new cases. If you or a loved one has been hurt, he is here to represent you and seek justice on your behalf. Start your case with a free consultation and begin the path towards compensation today.
For a free, no-obligation consultation, call (803) 592-6231.