Painful injuries. Costly medical bills. Missing work and losing income. A serious injury causes many hardships. If someone else caused your injury, you shouldn’t have to cover the losses and expenses that follow.
Our Charleston personal injury lawyers from Louthian Law Firm, P.A. can secure results for people just like you. We’re ready to seek the financial recovery you deserve.
Why Hire Louthian Law Firm, P.A. for Your Personal Injury Case?
Consider the benefits of partnering with us:
- We listen. Injury victims at other firms can feel like their case is just another number. Our compassionate team spends time with your case and listens to your concerns.
- Client service comes first. Dealing with an injury case can leave you feeling uncertain. Our team provides prompt case updates and answers questions throughout the case.
- Our roots run deep in South Carolina. We’re a family-owned law firm, serving South Carolinians since 1959. We take pride in serving Charleston families—as we have for generations.
- Our client came to us grieving the wrongful death of a loved one. We secured $3.1 million for their losses through insurance negotiations.
- After our client explained the circumstances of their loved one’s passing, we determined they had a strong wrongful death case. Through negotiations, we secured $2.7 million.
- Our client suffered harm due to the negligence of another party. Here, we didn’t have to file a lawsuit to recover damages. We secured $1 million through an insurance claim.
These are just some of the results we’ve achieved for injured clients and their families. We’re prepared to go above and beyond to secure what you need.
Seeking Compensation in a South Carolina Personal Injury Case
An injury can upend your life and cause many financial hardships. Our personal injury lawyers can identify all the ways the accident affected your life and seek fair financial recovery.
You could get compensation for:
Necessary Medical Bills
Depending on the extent of your injury, you could face a long and costly road to recovery.
Recoverable damages comprise:
- Emergency room care
- Ambulance services
- Diagnostic testing
- Visits to a doctor
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
We can seek a settlement or award that compensates you for your past, present, and future medical needs. We want to secure compensation that accounts for each of your losses so your accident doesn’t stick you with any out-of-pocket expenses.
Being injured can cost you in more ways than one. Not only could you face expensive medical bills, but you could miss time from work.
In that case, you could seek damages for:
- Missed paychecks
- Missed opportunities to work
- Missed tips or bonuses
- Reduced future earning capacity
In addition to pursuing your financial losses, we can also help you recover damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
Wrongful Death-Related Damages
If you lost a loved one after an accident, we offer our deepest condolences. Our team wants to manage your case while you spend time with your loved ones. Recoverable damages in this case could comprise funeral and burial expenses, end-of-life care costs, loss of consortium, and other out-of-pocket losses.
How Our Attorneys Can Handle Your Charleston Injury Case
Don’t spend time and energy dealing with an injury case while trying to heal. We can support your case by:
Investigating Your Accident and Gathering Evidence
To bring a successful personal injury case, we’ll need specific forms of evidence. We not only need to have a clear record of your injuries and damages but also a clear indication that the other party directly caused your injury.
Supporting evidence may include the police report, your medical records, employment records, and pay stubs. We may also garner evidence from surveillance camera footage, black box data, eyewitness testimony, and other sources.
Handling the Financial Recovery Process
With evidence in hand, we’ll seek compensation either through an insurance claim or a lawsuit. In many situations, we can seek fair financial recovery through settlement negotiations. The insurance settlement process is typically an efficient method of recovering damages.
However, we may file a lawsuit if this option works best for your case. You should also know that we may file a lawsuit if settlement negotiations don’t result in a fair offer.
Dealing with Each of Your Case’s Challenges
The other party’s representatives may make many attempts to challenge your case by alleging:
- Your injuries aren’t as serious as you say.
- Your injuries aren’t connected to the accident or the defendant’s actions.
- Your relevant medical bills aren’t as extensive as you claim.
Our attorneys at Louthian Law Firm, P.A. know how to handle these and many other roadblocks plaintiffs face. We can advocate for your legal rights and protect your right to damages.
Our Lawyers Advocate for People Harmed in These Situations
Some of our firm’s practice areas include:
In a car accident case, our Charleston car accident lawyers could pursue financial recovery through the liable driver’s insurance policy. We can also file a lawsuit.
Accidents involving large trucks frequently lead to life-altering injuries. If a trucker caused an accident, their employer could bear liability——and our Charleston truck accident lawyers could seek compensation through their corporate insurance policy.
Even in cases where the motorcyclist wasn’t at fault, the other party may try to claim that the rider caused the accident. Our Charleston motorcycle accidents can address these allegations in your case if they arise. As a motorcyclist, you have the same rights as other road users.
Slip and Fall Accidents
A property owner (or another responsible party) could be liable for hazardous floor conditions that cause a slip and fall. Our Charleston slip and fall accident lawyers can help determine the liability in your accident. These hazards could include wet floors without proper warning signage, loose or improperly maintained flooring, or icy walkways.
Other Injury Accidents We Can Assist With
Our attorneys also have experience helping victims rebuild their lives after these accidents:
- Bicycle accidents
- Brain Injury
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bus accidents
- Nursing home abuse cases
- Wrongful death cases
Accident Dangers in Charleston, South Carolina
Drivers and bicyclists in South Carolina and Charleston regularly face several roadway challenges, such as:
- Poor roads: A Consumer Affairs report ranked South Carolina’s roads as the worst in the county, as reported by WIS News 10. According to TRIP, a nonprofit organization focused on transportation research, most roadways across the state (and in Charleston) are not in good shape. In Charleston, 16 percent of roads are in poor shape, 28 percent are in mediocre shape, and 19 percent are in fair shape.
- Increased roadway use: The TRIP study notes that population growth in the state places greater demand on the region’s roads. South Carolina’s population grew by 30 percent between 2000 and 2020 and could continue growing. By 2040, the state’s population could increase by another 22 percent.
Dangerous Roads in Charleston
City-initiated transportation studies highlight several roadway dangers in Charleston.
Areas with the highest level of accidents were reported on:
- Spring Street (Westbound at Savannah Highway)
- Septima Clark Parkway
- Fishburne at Septima Clark Parkway
- East Bay Street at Calhoun Street
Drivers aren’t the only ones navigating dangerous roadways. Bicyclists and pedestrians in South Carolina also confront some of the deadliest roads in the country, according to The Post and Courier.
Our attorneys are familiar with these and other common challenges road users face in Charleston. We can use our experience to build the strongest possible evidence for compensation.
What Should I Do After an Injury Accident in Charleston?
Whether a car crash or slip and fall harms you, you need to do a few important things. Each of the following considerations could protect your right to damages, whether we file a lawsuit or negotiate with the insurer.
Get Medical Attention Promptly
Get medical attention as soon as possible after your injury. Doing so is crucial for your health—and crucial for your case.
That’s because you’ll need to show evidence that the accident (and the other party) caused your injuries. The longer you wait to get medical care, the more opportunity the other party has to dispute this link.
Listen to Your Doctors and Follow Through on Treatments
You might not want to take certain medications or attend all physical therapy sessions to heal adequately. However, listen to your doctors’ advice. If they tell you to get certain treatments, stay home to rest, or limit certain activities, do so.
Again, keep in mind that the other party may look at your medical records to dispute your right to compensation. They could try to argue that you neglected your care or made your injuries worse, which could lower your potential financial recovery.
Avoid Making Statements to the Insurance Company
If you get a call from the other party’s insurance company, refer the representative to your lawyer. Do not agree to provide a recorded statement. Your words could get taken out of context or otherwise hurt your case.
Take Advantage of a Free Case Review
Getting a free consultation from our team can leave you with greater clarity about your legal options. If you’re unsure about an insurance adjuster’s offer or want guidance on your possible next steps, we can help. Let our team answer your questions about working with a personal injury lawyer and explain how the recovery process works.
Frequently Asked Questions in Personal Injury Cases
Let us help you get the answers you need to common personal injury questions, such as:
How Much Money Could I Receive From My Charleston Personal Injury Claim?
The amount you could recover depends on the unique circumstances of your case. After we review your case’s evidence, we can explain what constitutes a fair settlement.
Typically, your recovery amount depends on these factors:
- How significantly the accident affected your life
- The cost of your medical bills (and future bills)
- How seriously you were injured
- Liability for the crash (e.g., a corporate party or an individual)
- Your day-to-day function
- Your working ability
Who Is Liable for Charleston Personal Injury Case?
Liability depends on who caused the accident, the type of accident you were involved in, and many other factors of your case. Depending on your accident, liability could rest with:
- Nursing homes
- Trucking companies
- Government entities
- Property owners
Multiple parties could hold liability. We can explain more after we investigate your case.
What is The Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Claim in Charleston?
The statute of limitations for bringing a personal injury case in South Carolina depends on your case. However, you generally have three years to file your lawsuit.
Our attorneys can explain if a different filing deadline applies to your case.
We recommend taking legal action as soon as possible. State law could bar you from seeking financial recovery if you wait too long and miss the filing deadline—even if you have a strong case otherwise.
Get a Free Case Review from a Charleston Injury Law Firm
At Louthian Law Firm, Accident & Injury Lawyers, our attorneys are ready to fight for you. Let us bring 80 years of combined legal experience in pursuit of your recovery.