The aftermath of a car accident could leave you with painful injuries and juggling trips to see doctors, all while missing work and losing income. You might have little time or energy to file insurance claims and talk to adjusters. Our Charleston car accident lawyers take the burden of a car accident case off your shoulders.
At Louthian Law Firm, P.A., we offer free case reviews where we’ll listen to your story and advise you of the next steps to get started on your case. Further, we work on contingency fees, so you don’t have to worry about upfront fees to hire our attorneys. Our Charleston personal injury lawyers only get paid if you get compensation.
What You Can Expect from Louthian Law Firm, P.A.
Louthian Law Firm, P.A. has spent decades standing up for injured people in South Carolina. As a family-owned law firm, we take pride in fighting for the rights of families like yours.
When you hire our team, here are a few things you can expect:
- Attention to you and your case. To us, your case isn’t just a number. We put client service first. Our Client Bill of Rights ensures that you receive the attention your case deserves.
- Combined 80 years of experience. Louthian Law Firm, P.A. has been helping South Carolinians since 1959. We have deep roots in our community and have supported our neighbors through their legal needs for generations. We’ll put our experience to work for you.
- A track record of results. Our team has won seven- and six-figure settlements for our clients, including $800,000 for a car accident victim and $975,000 for a family who brought a wrongful death case. We strive to do the same for you.
We are also proud to have a five-star rating on Google Reviews. When our past clients speak about their experiences with our team, they mention our attentiveness and friendliness—and our serious pursuit of results.
What Types of Compensation Could I Recover After a Car Accident?
Car accidents can cause major challenges to your life—not just to your health but also your wallet. We understand the range of losses you could face, and we fight hard to recover the damages you deserve.
During your free case review, our team will ask about how the accident affected your life—physically, financially, and emotionally. We will leave no stone unturned. We can then gather evidence to demonstrate all the ways the crash harmed you.
Our attorneys can help you seek compensation for your:
Your losses (also known as damages) could include a range of costs, such as:
- Medical bills: Your injuries could affect you for weeks, months, or years, and we can help you get compensation for your bills. You can seek compensation for emergency care, ambulance services, diagnostic testing, medications, surgeries, hospitalizations, physical therapy, and other medical costs.
- Lost earnings: If you had to miss days at work or otherwise couldn’t earn income, you could recover compensation. If your injuries reduce your ability to earn in the future, your damages can include the difference between your past and future expected earnings.
- Out-of-pocket costs: Your transportation costs can quickly add up when your vehicle needs repairs. Yet, we can include this loss in your claim or car accident claim worth. Other recoverable out-of-pocket damages could include medical equipment, childcare expenses, and transportation costs.
An accident can leave you with both physical and emotional scars.
We can seek compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
You could seek other damages, depending on your case’s details.
Pursuing Justice for a Wrongful Death Case
Suddenly losing a loved one can upend your entire life.
Through a wrongful death case, you can seek justice and recovery for the many challenges your family now faces, including:
- The cost of your loved one’s medical expenses before they passed away
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
Our compassionate team can step in and stand by your side through every step of the legal process.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer for Your Charleston Car Accident Case
You may wonder if it makes sense to hire a lawyer after a car accident. Consider some of the benefits of partnering with our team:
You Can’t Currently Handle the Demands of a Claim or Lawsuit
To successfully receive compensation after an accident, you’ll likely need to take on many daily tasks. From answering phone calls to dealing with insurance adjusters, these tasks can take their toll.
Whether you’re recovering from a serious back or head injury or healing from the emotional trauma of a crash, we can take on your case’s tasks.
You’re Not Sure How to Prove Your Case
Resolving a car accident case in your favor can seem daunting. You may not know what documents you need to provide and what arguments you need to make. You also might wonder about what not to do.
Our team has experience gathering crucial evidence needed to pursue damages.
We can use a range of evidence to show that:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care.
- The other driver breached their duty of care.
- Their negligence was the direct cause of your injuries.
- You are now dealing with costs and other losses because of the crash.
The other party’s insurance company will want to see clear and compelling evidence that all these facts were true in your case.
We can gather this evidence from many sources in Charleston, including the police report, surveillance camera footage, and eyewitness testimony.
You Want to Know That You’re Seeking the Best Possible Settlement
If the insurance adjuster makes an offer, how will you know if it’s fair? Our attorneys can assess your losses and explain what constitutes a fair offer from the insurer.
The insurance adjuster’s initial offer might not account for each of your losses. With our experience, we understand the potential amount you can seek for your medical costs, lost earnings, and other damages. We can use our negotiating skills to achieve the highest possible offer from the insurance company.
You Want to Hand Off Any Legal Challenges to a Professional
Dealing with the other party’s insurance adjusters and other lawyers can be challenging. After all, an insurance company is a business that typically wants to pay as little as possible for car accident claims.
To do so, an insurer may use many methods, such as:
- Delaying your claim (in hopes that you may drop your case)
- Downplaying the extent of your injuries and suffering
- Denying a link between your injuries and the other driver’s negligence
Our attorneys regularly see these strategies, and we know how to counter them. We can stand up for you and your rights throughout the claims process.
There Are Many Dangerous Roads in Charleston, South Carolina
U.S. News & World Report ranks Charleston as the 19th fastest growing city in the country. As the City of Charleston notes, this growth brings plenty of opportunities—along with a strain on the city’s infrastructure and roads. As the state and city’s population continues to increase, these challenges could continue.
The City of Charleston also conducted a recent transportation study to identify dangerous roads and traffic patterns, then propose new developments.
Areas with some of the highest accident potential include:
- Septima Clark Parkway
- Spring Street (Westbound at Savannah Highway)
- Fishburne at Septima Clark Parkway
- East Bay Street at Calhoun Street
Charleston faces many unique features that can make transportation improvements challenging, including historic districts and waterways.
Several streets in the city are currently carrying larger volumes of traffic than developers intended, including the Savannah Highway. By 2040, the higher traffic volume could overburden many of Charleston’s streets if the city does not implement changes.
Frequently Asked Questions in Charleston Car Accident Cases
Here, you can get answers to your questions after a car accident. Our team can help you understand the whole process of seeking financial recovery.
Do I Need to Have Serious Injuries to Receive Compensation?
No, you don’t necessarily have to have serious or catastrophic injuries to receive a financial recovery.
To seek compensation from another driver after an accident, we need to show that someone caused your accident and that you suffered injuries and damages. So, you’ll need to have evidence of medical bills, lost earnings, and other losses.
How Do You Prove Who’s at Fault?
To prove fault and seek compensation, we need to show that the other party was negligent. Negligence refers to the careless or reckless actions that directly caused your crash. If a driver broke any traffic laws and received a citation, this can provide evidence of negligence.
We can gather as much evidence of the other driver’s negligence as possible. In some cases, we may seek out surveillance camera footage, black box data, the police report, and witness testimony to support your case.
Keep in mind that the person at fault for the crash isn’t always the one who will pay for your damages. For instance, if a Lyft driver causes an accident, Lyft’s insurance policy could bear liability.
What Are the Steps in a Personal Injury Case?
Car accident cases can unfold in several ways. We can tell you more about an appropriate legal approach after we investigate your case.
We may begin by either initiating a claim with the other party’s insurance company or by filing a lawsuit. With a car accident claim, we present our evidence to the other party and make our demand for compensation. The insurance company will either agree to the requested amount, or we can proceed with negotiations. If the other party does not make an acceptable settlement offer, we may file a lawsuit.
Alternatively, we may begin by filing a lawsuit. However, we may not end up in a courtroom. Our lawyers may negotiate to settle outside the courtroom. After all, going to court takes time and resources that neither party typically wants to expend. Whether we start by filing a lawsuit or pursuing a settlement, we keep you updated throughout the process.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
The cost of hiring a lawyer should not hold you back from getting our help. Because we work on contingency, we only get paid for our services based on the results we obtain for you.
In other words:
- You owe us nothing upfront when you begin a case.
- We receive a portion of your final settlement or award as payment.
- If you don’t win, you don’t pay our attorney’s fees.
We want to reduce the financial risk of starting your case by financing its costs.
How Soon Will I Receive a Check?
Our attorneys work diligently to resolve your case as soon as possible. However, every case involves unique—and sometimes unforeseen—factors. Depending on the willingness of the other party to settle your case fairly, you could see a check in a matter of weeks or a few months.
However, it can take more time to resolve certain cases, especially if we have to file a lawsuit. We communicate with you throughout the claims process and can offer you an updated timeline so you know what to expect.
How Much Will I Get for My Charleston personal injury claim?
What you can get from a car accident settlement or award depends on these unique factors:
- How seriously you were injured
- How the injury changed your career, relationships, and life in general
- The cost of your medical expenses, including future care
As mentioned previously, we work hard to recover the maximum amount available in your case. After we investigate your case’s facts, we can explain the settlement or award amount that we intend to seek.